Institute of Armament Technology came into existence in 1952 as Institute of Armament Studies. Originally the institute was meant for aiming few chose defense personnel on the technology of armaments. The institute changed to it’s present location in 1967. The R&D council of the Ministry of Defence changed the scope of the institute from differentiation in armaments to a broader position in the years 1964 and 1981. It was originally related to the University of Pune, which, on testimonials of the AICTE conferred it with the authority of awarding M.E in eight courses. Central government, on the testimonial of UGC granted IAT the status of being a considered University in the year 2000.