Go Back   2023 2024 Courses.Ind.In > Main Category > Main Forum

Old November 14th, 2019, 10:21 AM
Unregistered

Default MGKVP B.Sc 1st Year Syllabus

Can you provide me the syllabus of B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) Chemistry Program offered by M.G. Kashi Vidyapith, Varanasi as I want to check it before taking up the course?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 14th, 2019, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: MGKVP B.Sc 1st Year Syllabus

The syllabus of B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) Chemistry Program offered by M.G. Kashi Vidyapith, Varanasi is as follows:

B.Sc. (First Year) Chemistry

B.Sc. - I Chemistry (Paper-I)

Inorganic Chemistry

Unit - I
I. Atomic Structure:

Idea of de-Broglie matter waves, Heisenberg uncertainty principle, atomic orbitals, Schrodinger wave equation, significance of Ψ and Ψ2, quantum numbers, radial and angular wave functions and probability distribution curves, shapes of s, p, d, orbitals, Aufbau and Pauli exclusion principles, Hunds multiplicity rule, Electronic configurations of the elements, effective nuclear charge.

II. Periodic Properties:
Atomic and ionic radii, ionization energy, electron affinity and electro negativity definition, methods of determination or evaluation, trends in periodic table and applications in predicting and explaining the chemical behaviour.

Unit - II

III. Chemical Bonding:

(A) Covalent Bond - Valence bond theory and its limitations, directional characteristics of covalent bond, various types of hybridization and shapes of simple inorganic molecules and ions, valence shall electron pair repulsion (VSEPR) theory to NH3, H3O+, SF4, CIF3, ICl2 and H2O, MO theory, homonuclear and heteronuclear (CO and NO) diatomic molecules, multicentre bonding in electron deficient molecules, bond strength and bond energy, percentage ionic character from dipole moment and electro-negativity difference.

(B) Ionic Solids - Ionic structures, radius ratio effect and coordination number, limitation of radius ratio rule, lattice defects, semiconductors, lattice energy and Born-Haber cycle, salvation energy and solubility of ionic solids, polarizing power and polarisability of ions, Fajan's rule, Metallic bond-free electron, valence bond and band theories. Weak Interactions - Hydrogen bonding, Vander Waals forces.

Unit - III

IV. s-Block Elements:
Comparative study, diagonal relationship, salient features of hydrides, solvation and complexation tendencies including their function in bio systems, an introduction to alkyls and aryls

V. Chemistry of Noble Gasses:
Chemical properties of the noble gases, chemistry of xenon, structure and bonding in xenon compounds.

Unit - IV
VI. p-Block Elements:
Comparative study (including diagonal relationship) of groups 13-17 elements, compounds like hydrides, oxides, oxyacids and halides of group 13-16, hydrides of boron-diborane and higher boranes, borazine, borohydrides, fullerenes, carbides, fluorocarbons, silicates (structural principle), tetrasulphur tetra nitride, basic properties of halogens, interhalogens and polyhalides.

Syllabus B.Sc. Chemistry M.G. Kashi Vidyapith, Varanasi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message